CLARKSVILLE, Tennessee. – Clarksville Downtown Market will open May 16 at a new home on the banks of the Cumberland River.
McGregor Park North Extension, behind O’Charley’s on Riverside Drive, will be the site of the popular weekly event until further notice while concerns over the COVID-19 pandemic are ongoing.
Trey Stroud, Downtown Market Manager, said the new site provides more space and enhanced ability to follow social distancing guidelines.
“We are excited about this new location because it means we are still able to open the market safely. It’s a large area that will allow patrons and vendors to feel more comfortable,” Stroud said. “It’s also a beautiful setting for people to enjoy as they ease back into normalcy.”
The 2020 Clarksville Downtown Market will open with a reduced number of vendors and hours through May. Only farm vendors and food trucks will participate. The market will open at its normal time of 8 a.m. but will close at 11 a.m. on until further notice.
“With food being essential during this pandemic, we are able to open the market under special guidelines. We have every intention of opening the full market as soon as we can do so safely,” Stroud said. “We are working with city leaders and health professionals to determine when that will be. We want all our vendors with us as soon as possible.”
Additional guidelines will be followed to keep the market safe and accessible for all patrons:
- Vendors and patrons will be strongly encouraged to wear facial coverings.
- Vendors will be required to wear gloves.
- On-site crowd control will limit the number of patrons allowed on the market grounds at one time.
- Patrons cannot touch the merchandise prior to purchase.
- Caution tape will be placed at each tent to ensure a safe distance between patrons and vendors.
- No reusable bags will be allowed (only disposable plastic bags).
- Hand sanitizer will be available for patrons.
The award-winning Clarksville Downtown Market, traditionally staged at City Hall, is in its 11th year. It opens at 8 a.m. every Saturday from May 16 through Sept. 26.